Banns of Marriage

We're glad to help couples who are marrying at another church who need their banns of marriage published at St Mary's.

Banns are one of the legal preliminaries to marriage. You should first talk with the vicar of the parish in which you want to marry. He or she will let you know if banns are needed.

Next, check that you live in our parish by visiting the A Church Near You website.

Then give us a call and we'll ask you to meet with us and fill in the necessary forms. There's a small charge for publishing and certifying banns.

Banns are usually published at the eleven o'clock service on the first three Sundays of the month before the month of your wedding. For example, for a wedding on 26 October, we would publish banns on the first three Sundays in August. It's not essential to be in church when your banns are being published but most couples do. You'll hear the legal announcement and then we'll pray God's blessing on all your preparations.